F16 - a good experience

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Fri Dec 30 18:42:18 UTC 2011

On Dec 30, 2011 11:00 AM, "Joe Zeff" <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 12/30/2011 08:51 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
>>
>> Luckily the frippery extensions and some other good stuff on
>> extensions.gnome.org allow me to mimick GNOME2 pretty well.
>

> Doesn't it bother anybody else here that many people have to use a bunch
of third-party extensions and mimic the way Gnome 2 worked just to make
Gnome 3 usable?  Shouldn't Gnome 3 be easy for the average user right out
of the box?  Am I the only person here who thinks there's something wrong
here?  Of course, I don't use Gnome any more, and the above is why, so you
might not think I'm being objective here.  Still, it makes me wonder.

> --

Hey Joe,

Gnome2 was great, I agree.  One could add widgets and gadgets galore to aid
in their workflow, and that's gone now.

But! Have you looked at extensions.gnome.org? Its not widgets being offered
here, you're looking at drop-in modularity of entire behavior sets.  You
can activate them with a single mouse click! The extensions are written in
Java, which makes a fairly low barrier to entry, and the gnome project has
good documentation on making them and is responsive to questions asked in
this context.

The complaints about gnome3 I read here, to me, approximate this statement :

"The gnome devs are focusing too much on making their product extensible,
so that users can easily customize behaviors and drop in new features.
They should be focusing on creating the behaviors and features I want!  I
shouldn't be forced to take advantage of the extensibility at the core of
this software to have my expectations met!"

These statements loose validity with each repetition, and offer no support
value.  I'm subscribed to this list to learn, and I'm tired of reading
these snipes.