F16 - a good experience

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Dec 30 20:02:41 UTC 2011

On 12/31/2011 03:25 AM, Roger K. Wells wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 01:00 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 12/30/2011 08:51 AM, Patrick Lists wrote:
>>> Luckily the frippery extensions and some other good stuff on
>>> extensions.gnome.org allow me to mimick GNOME2 pretty well.
>>
> +1
>> Doesn't it bother anybody else here that many people have to use a
>> bunch of third-party extensions and mimic the way Gnome 2 worked just
>> to make Gnome 3 usable? Shouldn't Gnome 3 be easy for the average user
>> right out of the box? Am I the only person here who thinks there's
>> something wrong here? Of course, I don't use Gnome any more, and the
>> above is why, so you might not think I'm being objective here. Still,
>> it makes me wonder.

I think there is significant investment from some quarters in the
concept that is Gnome3. And it reminds me of the Turkish proverb in
someone's .sig: (Sorry, the name escapes me now who it belongs to...)
"No matter how far you've gone down the road, turn back."
That's just a joke... but seriously...

The KDE spin stats are interesting, as are the XFCE ones.