Not enough info, so no point

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:05:34 UTC 2011

On Friday 03 June 2011 12:52:56 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 11:58 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > On Friday 03 June 2011 09:03:15 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
> >> I can understand why you suggest that, but why does Fedora 14 work? The
> >> failure appears to occur during the kernel start up and Fedora 15 has a
> >> newer kernel, for Live CD, install DVD, and actual installation, and all
> >> fail appear to fail during kernel start up. Perhaps after Fedora 15 has
> >> the next kernel update another install will work.
> >
> > I remember from one of your previous posts that you have a SCSI
> > controller and some device attached in your machine (it was also visible
> > in your smolt profile, IIRC). What is that and what do you have attached
> > there?

[snip]

> > I can suggest the following. Disconnect the SCSI device and try the F15
> > Live KDE. Does it work? If not, please send some info on where and how
> > it stops (take a picture of the screen, write down what you see on a
> > paper and retype in an e-mail, whatever). Continue disconnecting all
> > unnecessary hardware. The only thing you *need* in a machine is memory,
> > one hard disk, one CD/DVD drive and a video card (and obvious stuff ---
> > a motherboard, processor, power supply, keyboard and monitor). Remove
> > everything else, and try to boot the F15 Live KDE.

[snip]

> > A very important point --- *please* send us *detailed* information on
> > where, how and what fails to work. If you don't have the technical
> > skills to explain the details yourself, take a photo of a screen with a
> > failed boot attempt, and post it. You can use a camera built into your
> > mobile phone (or ask a friend for one), and you can use a working F14 to
> > put it online.
>
> Well I agree that my opinion posts were made out of frustration, wrongly.
>
> If you look at some of my other posts here you will see that I have
> provided further details that detail that the Fedora 15 install DVD,
> Fedora 15 Live KDE CD, and a Fedora 15 install, (by other means), all
> fail in a similar manner, which appears to be requiring multiple SCSI
> reset bus, then core dump, and shows various Advansys calls.

Ok, so social things aside, have you tried to disconnect the SCSI device and
boot the F15 Live KDE? What is the result?

Also, you still didn't say which device is attached to the SCSI controller and
what is it used for? Is it a hard disk? A DVD drive? Network equipment?
Something else? Detailed hardware specs could be useful, because someone may
be aware of a potential kernel/driver bug for that particular device, or maybe
know a workaround. Post as many details as you can about it.

Given that the boot process hangs with a SCSI bus reset, I have a feeling that
this device is the culprit of your problems. Another piece of info would be
useful --- where in the boot process does the SCSI bus reset message appear?
Is it during the kernel booting phase, or after init kicked in? Is the root
partition already remounted r/w, or is it still mounted read-only? If it is
still read-only, there will be no info in the logs. But if it happened after
the r/w remount, you can mount the F15 / partition into some directory of F14,
and look at /mountpoint/var/log/messages and /mountpoint/var/log/boot.log for
further info (/mountpoint is the name of the directory in F14 tree where you
have mounted the F15 / directory).

Any of those things would be helpful in diagnosing what goes wrong during the
boot. But above all, do try to disconnect the SCSI device altogether and boot
into F15. If that works, do a yum update and see if it pulls in a new kernel,
then reattach the device and try again with the latest kernel. Maybe the
drivers had a bug.

Come back with as much info as you can collect about this.

HTH, :-)
Marko