Not enough info, so no point

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 3 14:15:34 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 02:05 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2011 12:52:56 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>>
>>> I remember from one of your previous posts that you have a SCSI
>>> controller and some device attached in your machine (it was also visible
>>> in your smolt profile, IIRC). What is that and what do you have attached
>>> there?
>>>
> [snip]
>>>
>>> I can suggest the following. Disconnect the SCSI device and try the F15
>>> Live KDE. Does it work? If not, please send some info on where and how
>>> it stops (take a picture of the screen, write down what you see on a
>>> paper and retype in an e-mail, whatever). Continue disconnecting all
>>> unnecessary hardware. The only thing you *need* in a machine is memory,
>>> one hard disk, one CD/DVD drive and a video card (and obvious stuff ---
>>> a motherboard, processor, power supply, keyboard and monitor). Remove
>>> everything else, and try to boot the F15 Live KDE.
>>>
> [snip]
>>>
>>> A very important point --- *please* send us *detailed* information on
>>> where, how and what fails to work. If you don't have the technical
>>> skills to explain the details yourself, take a photo of a screen with a
>>> failed boot attempt, and post it. You can use a camera built into your
>>> mobile phone (or ask a friend for one), and you can use a working F14 to
>>> put it online.
>>
>> Well I agree that my opinion posts were made out of frustration, wrongly.
>>
>> If you look at some of my other posts here you will see that I have
>> provided further details that detail that the Fedora 15 install DVD,
>> Fedora 15 Live KDE CD, and a Fedora 15 install, (by other means), all
>> fail in a similar manner, which appears to be requiring multiple SCSI
>> reset bus, then core dump, and shows various Advansys calls.
>
> Ok, so social things aside, have you tried to disconnect the SCSI device and
> boot the F15 Live KDE? What is the result?
>
> Also, you still didn't say which device is attached to the SCSI controller and
> what is it used for? Is it a hard disk? A DVD drive? Network equipment?
> Something else? Detailed hardware specs could be useful, because someone may
> be aware of a potential kernel/driver bug for that particular device, or maybe
> know a workaround. Post as many details as you can about it.
>
> Given that the boot process hangs with a SCSI bus reset, I have a feeling that
> this device is the culprit of your problems. Another piece of info would be
> useful --- where in the boot process does the SCSI bus reset message appear?
> Is it during the kernel booting phase, or after init kicked in? Is the root
> partition already remounted r/w, or is it still mounted read-only? If it is
> still read-only, there will be no info in the logs. But if it happened after
> the r/w remount, you can mount the F15 / partition into some directory of F14,
> and look at /mountpoint/var/log/messages and /mountpoint/var/log/boot.log for
> further info (/mountpoint is the name of the directory in F14 tree where you
> [...]
Currently nothing is attached to the SCSI controller. So I'm wondering
if I actually remove it, the problem will disappear.

I'm fairly sure the Fedora 15 install is mostly up to date, as I
installed direct from the Fedora repos, release and updates.

The SCSI bus reset is in the kernel booting phase I believe.