Two elementary questions on LANs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 18 17:56:17 UTC 2011

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> When you bring it down....NM will rewrite it to read....
>>>
>>> # No nameservers found; try putting DNS servers into your
>>> # ifcfg files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts like so:
>>> #
>>> # DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>> # DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>> # DOMAIN=lab.foo.com bar.foo.com
>> NM certainly didn't write that in my ifcfg-wlan0
>> or I would have followed its advice.
>> IIRC, NM simply deleted the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf
>> that I had given.
>
> That is because that isn't what I wrote....
>
> I wrote that is what is written in /etc/resolv.conf  !

It certainly wasn't written there,
as I would have been even more certain to follow that advice.
(I could conceivably have overlooked it in ifcfg-wlan0.)

> I have never seen a case where /etc/resolv.conf was totally "blanked".
> It either contains the information supplied by DHCP, the information
> supplied in the ifcfg- file, or the stanza I noted above.

It wasn't totally blanked;
the lines containing my nameservers were deleted.
Otherwise it was left as it was.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net