Comparison of Desktop Environments in F15?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 16 12:04:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 12:28 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> you're much better off throwing resources into an existing active
> project (whether its Gnome 3/shell, KDE, unity, lxde, etc etc).

And so the attempt to pervert XFCE into Gnome 2 will begin...  ;-p

For some, they used Gnome over others, because of the Gnome
applications.  If you change desktops, and carry on using the same
software, you'll still have all the baggage of Gnome dragged along.
And, depending on how Gnome 3 gets developed, maybe Gnome applications
on another deskop will still be as annoying as Gnome 3.

For others, they chose Gnome over others, because of other behaviours of
Gnome (e.g. reasonable automatic handling of mounting temporary media).
When I explored other desktops, quite some time ago, that sucked.  I
want to plug a flash drive in, and have it just work.  Not have to
manually mount it, one way or another.  That sort of thing, (various)
desired desktop behaviours, can make it quite hard to find alternatives.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.