F15 doesn't believe my hardware clock uses local time

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 31 21:00:36 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff writes:

> On 05/31/2011 01:26 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Before I begin a long and painful adventure in pulling apart with what's
> > happening with systemd/initscripts, anyone has any clues where I should
> > look?
>
> The next few times you boot, go into your BIOS and make sure the time's
> right there.  And, if the hardware clock's running slow, it may be a
> sign that your CMOS battery needs replacing.  Modern computers are
> designed that way so that you can know when it's low and replace it
> before it dies completely.  It's probably not an issue here, but it's
> good to know about in general.

It would be rather strange if a low cmos battery would result in the
hardware clock being slow exactly by exactly four hours, no more, no less,
on every boot, no matter how much time has elapsed between boots - anywhere
between five minutes and sixteen hours -  and despite the fact that the
laptop's been on the mains power all the time, and wouldn't be drawing the
CMOS battery at all.