gnome-terminal "paint" issues?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:22:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Brian Ericson <bericson at ptc.com> wrote:
> I'm having "one-off" issues with gnome-terminal on my laptop.  At the
> bottom of the terminal, the results of a command typically (but not
> always) don't display until I hit "enter" a second time and PgUp/PgDown
> in man pages or vim oftentimes don't do anything (then, when the key is
> hit again, the result will be 2x rather than 1x).
>
> Anyone know what might cause this?

I don't know, but here's a few things that may give you or others here a clue:

Also, are you only logged into the local machine just using a plain
bash shell, or are you say ssh'ed into another? Or using the
"screen(1)" command? Or using a keyboard KVM switch?

Look at your terminal profile preferences, and in particular under
scrolling see if "scroll on keystrokes" is checked.

Check your $TERM environment variable.

If you resize the terminal window (and press enter), do the values for
the environment variables $COLUMNS and $LINES change?

What are your terminal device settings?  Run: stty -a

Are you using any Gnome universal access features, or have perhaps
changed your Compose key binding or other keyboard layout settings?

You can also try using the on-screen keyboard and see if it behaves
differently than your real keyboard (pull down the Gnome Universal
Access menu from the gnome bar at the top right and choose "Screen
Keyboard").

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/