gnome-terminal "paint" issues?

Brian Ericson bericson at ptc.com
Fri Nov 18 14:51:42 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply!  I should mention I'm on f16.  Interestingly, this
seems to happen more frequently the larger the terminal window is.  It's
easily reproduced doing repeated "ls -d .??*"s and I've also noticed
that if I wait long enough (upwards of two minutes), it'll repaint on
its own, but it always repaints instantly if I hit enter again.

I'm using a plain bash shell with a default .bash_profile and an
uninspiring .bashrc.  The shell is to the local machine.  The profile
settings for gnome-terminal are unaltered (the "Default" profile) save
that I don't display the menu bar (not that this changes anything).

TERM is set to xterm (same as on other machines I have f16 on that don't
exhibit this issue) and both COLUMNS & LINES change when the window is
resized.  stty -a settings are unaltered from the default (and match the
other machines' settings).  This particular machine uses the English
(Dvorak) layout which it inherits from the system as I pass
KEYTABLE=dvorak to the kernel (my other machines have Dvorak keyboards
and, consequently, are set to English (US)).

I went so far as to create a new user to see if the user would exhibit
the same issues (and set that user's layout to English (US)), and the
new user has the same issues.  As an aside, did you know that if you
create or delete user using the "Users and Groups" application, it logs
you out of your session?!

The onscreen keyboard (funnily in QWERTY), doesn't appear to have this
issue, if that helps.