doc question on private network IP allocation

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Sat Oct 15 15:14:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 21:41 +1030, Tim wrote:

> MAC filtering is utterly pointless.

We use it on *wired* networks, primarily to prevent visitors whose
laptops have not been properly vetted (and may be crawling with malware)
from connecting to our internal network. It is not expected to keep out
serious bad guys. Like most security measures, the effectiveness is
measured against what you are trying to accomplish, not against whether
it succeeds in giving you unbreakable security.

--Greg