doc question on private network IP allocation

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 15 16:02:07 UTC 2011

On 10/15/2011 08:14 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 21:41 +1030, Tim wrote:
>
>> MAC filtering is utterly pointless.
> We use it on *wired* networks, primarily to prevent visitors whose
> laptops have not been properly vetted (and may be crawling with malware)
> from connecting to our internal network. It is not expected to keep out
> serious bad guys. Like most security measures, the effectiveness is
> measured against what you are trying to accomplish, not against whether
> it succeeds in giving you unbreakable security.
>
> --Greg

Greg:

Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find any information about
whether MAC address filtering could be set up for wired on a "home
router" (as in Linksys or Netgear). I didn't see anything and assumed
that it was only for wireless.

In your usage, is it through the router(s) that you enforce wired MAC
access?

Not certain if I want to deal with it on a home network, but I am curious

Thanks,
Paul