F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:10:48 UTC 2011

I just wanted to share what a troublesome, irritating process it was to
update my F14 KDE box to F15.

When it was released, I immediately downloaded F15 KDE Live ISO and
installed it on a USB drive.  I was quite impressed.

Shortly thereafter, I ran pre upgrade, only to find that the pre upgrade
kernel wouldn't run when I rebooted.

About that time I got busy with other things in my life and just stayed
running F14.

Until about a week ago when yum update installed kernel 2.6.40-3 and
nvidia-280.  At that point my computer started hanging whenever I logged
into a graphical work session.  This was on a machine that has been running
Fedora reliably since new.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to troubleshoot the boot
hanging problem.  To no avail.

After a while I decided it would be better to upgrade to F15, thinking the
problem was the new nvidia-280 driver and some older xorg file in F14.

So I then spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out why the
F15 preupgrade kernel wouldn't boot properly.

After a while I gave up on getting it to work.  I decided to upgrade via the
F15 Upgrade DVD.

I downloaded the ISO file and tried for a while to install it on a USB
drive, to no avail.

After a while I gave up on getting that to work and burned it to a DVD.

The upgrade ran without a hitch from the upgrade DVD.  Or so it thought.

Right off the bat, F15 wouldn't boot either, just like F14 wouldn't.

After some digging around, I got it to boot by removing all akmod-nvidia and
kmod-nvidia files as well as my xorg.conf file.  Which, incidentally, has
run fine forever.  At that point I could now boot F15 and log into a
graphical work session.

But not a KDE session !   Apparently none of my KDE packages had been
upgraded and my system now only had F15 gnome packages on it.

Upon running yum update in F15, I was greeted with 57 error messages from
yum check.  All of these errors were concerned with missing dependencies for
F14 packages that did not get upgraded via the upgrade DVD and/or F14
packages that the upgrade process decided to leave even though there was
also an F15 version on the machine.

After spending a considerable amount of time, I determined the best way to
deal with the situation was to delete all the offending F14 packages.  So I
did.

Yum update then ran fine.

I then added back the packages that were deleted that did not have F15
equivalents.

At that point I reinstalled KDE in its entirety.

Which is where I sit today.   F15 works great, but what a process to get
here.