F15: Worst. Update. Ever.

Peter G. pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 00:41:23 UTC 2011

Bruce Korb wrote:

> It is also useful to have /home on a separate partition that
> gets mounted from both installations....

This is why I have /home/me/Documents on a separate partition (actually a full
separate 300GB drive, sdb, with just one partition, hence sdb1), filled with my
stuff. Total overkill, as I have much less than 100GB of stuff, but drives are
so cheap.

The /home/me part is the part that has all of the .blablabla files and
directories. I don't share that between installations or distros. Each
installation, say Fedora 15 and Fedora 16, might have different versions of the
same programs, so sharing the configuration files would likely be a total mess.
Even worse, if you are playing with a couple of different distros.

I have played around with various methods over the years, but I like to make it
as easy as possible for me to move to a new system. Having a /home/me/Documents
in each system would mean I would have to copy my stuff over to the new system,
or risk it getting overwritten when I'm creating my partion layout.

I have never used lvm or anaconda's automatic partitioning. I always use a
custom partitioning (the bottom choice, I believe), so that I know that my old
system and my data are safe and untouched.

This is how I do it. You might find a different scheme works better for you.