how do I play this file?

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 02:20:12 UTC 2011

2011/9/1 Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> >> May not work...  Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.
> >>
> >> Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the
> >> Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of
> >> container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.
>

> > Of course!! that's it! what tim just said is the answer... (Btw Yep, the
> > Firefox Method
> > Worked) and Yep, it actually is a SWF File but it plays only "a
> fullscreen
> > black" because what you've
> > downloaded is a Flash Player, the SWFObject player that web developers
> use
> > to embed Flash movies
> > on a webpage... That's why it only is 20K also, it's only the player
> without
> > the "SWFObject" library and without
> > the video itself...
> >
> > See, the "retrieve from cache" method works (or at least used to work)
> with
> > youtube videos, as when they play,
> > they actually "cache" (note the use of the word as a verb) among other
> > things, the original video... When the video stops
> >
> > Megavideo Caches the videos in SWF for example but files are way much
> larger
> > than 20K.  when a webpage play flash videos, most of
> > the time they use the "SWFObject" method and one of the things that is
> > "caching" in the background is the SWF Player, that is the thing
> > you just downloaded...
> >
> > See, there are more easy ways to download videos from web, if you can,
> tell
> > me what you were trying to grab and I'll help you.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzjxsSfDKg
> very preferably including the subtitles.
> The English title is When Father was Away on Business.
> I actually have a DVD of this,
> but I suspect the youtube version of being clearer.
> It's more than two hours long, which is why I was practicing on
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3zhoq5tT0&feature=related ,
> which is less than 15 minutes.
> They have different "share" mechanisms.
> The big one just gets a link back to youtube.
>
> --
> Michael   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
> Optimist:   The glass is half full.
> Engineer:   The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
> --

They're all Youtube Videos for what I'm quickly reading... That's Good!!

Well, you can use "Minitube" or "ClipGrab", Not sure if one of them has
support for subtitles... As far as I remember Minitube Doesn't and clipgrab
does not install in it's final release under F15...

What I would do in your place is Downloading and installing
minitube with "sudo yum -y install minitube" and then I'll use it
to download the videos without subtitles, after that, you can download
the subtitles track separetly from internet and then in a player such as
Smplayer or maybe VLC
you can put the subtitles into the video while watching.

Hope that helps!

--
Manuel Escudero
Linux User #509052