how do I play this file?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:54:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> 2011/9/1 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
>
>> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:24 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
>>> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:
>>>
>>> For just viewing:
>>>
>>> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it
>>> with firefox.
>>
>> May not work...  Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.
>>
>> Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the
>> Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of
>> container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.

> Of course!! that's it! what tim just said is the answer... (Btw Yep, the
> Firefox Method
> Worked) and Yep, it actually is a SWF File but it plays only "a fullscreen
> black" because what you've
> downloaded is a Flash Player, the SWFObject player that web developers use
> to embed Flash movies
> on a webpage... That's why it only is 20K also, it's only the player without
> the "SWFObject" library and without
> the video itself...
>
> See, the "retrieve from cache" method works (or at least used to work) with
> youtube videos, as when they play,
> they actually "cache" (note the use of the word as a verb) among other
> things, the original video... When the video stops
>
> Megavideo Caches the videos in SWF for example but files are way much larger
> than 20K.  when a webpage play flash videos, most of
> the time they use the "SWFObject" method and one of the things that is
> "caching" in the background is the SWF Player, that is the thing
> you just downloaded...
>
> See, there are more easy ways to download videos from web, if you can, tell
> me what you were trying to grab and I'll help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzjxsSfDKg
very preferably including the subtitles.
The English title is When Father was Away on Business.
I actually have a DVD of this,
but I suspect the youtube version of being clearer.
It's more than two hours long, which is why I was practicing on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3zhoq5tT0&feature=related ,
which is less than 15 minutes.
They have different "share" mechanisms.
The big one just gets a link back to youtube.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.