how do I play this file?

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 18:50:00 UTC 2011

2011/9/1 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>

> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 15:24 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> > is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:
> >
> > For just viewing:
> >
> > 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it
> > with firefox.
>
> May not work...  Some players, like "mplayer" can play Flash videos.
>
> Though, if what you've downloaded is a Flash player, rather than the
> Flash video (that the player would have played), or some other sort of
> container/referral file, you'll be out of luck.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.
>

> --

Of course!! that's it! what tim just said is the answer... (Btw Yep, the
Firefox Method
Worked) and Yep, it actually is a SWF File but it plays only "a fullscreen
black" because what you've
downloaded is a Flash Player, the SWFObject player that web developers use
to embed Flash movies
on a webpage... That's why it only is 20K also, it's only the player without
the "SWFObject" library and without
the video itself...

See, the "retrieve from cache" method works (or at least used to work) with
youtube videos, as when they play,
they actually "cache" (note the use of the word as a verb) among other
things, the original video... When the video stops

Megavideo Caches the videos in SWF for example but files are way much larger
than 20K.  when a webpage play flash videos, most of
the time they use the "SWFObject" method and one of the things that is
"caching" in the background is the SWF Player, that is the thing
you just downloaded...

See, there are more easy ways to download videos from web, if you can, tell
me what you were trying to grab and I'll help you.

--
Manuel Escudero
Linux User #509052