Question on DNS setup change not working.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Sep 2 21:47:02 UTC 2011

On 03Sep2011 04:56, Michael D. Setzer II <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
| Our MIS department just decided to not allow the use of the public
| IP addresses of system from local machines, so I made the
| additions to the hosts file with the private ip and the name.
| restart named and restarted squid, and squid picked up the
| change, and would bring up pages using the name. Unfortunately,
| dig and other options would still be using the public IP instead.
|
| Tried restarting the machine to see if something might not have
| been changed, but it remains the same.

/etc/hosts is not part of DNS. It is part of the name lookup procedure
used by gethostbyname(). So: squid is affected by /etc/hosts, but dig
and named are NOT, and will not be: they are specificly DNS tools.

My recommendation is to add a special .local zone to your named with
names host1.local etc with the private addresses. Then add local to the
_front_ of the search path in /etc/resolv.conf:

  search local your.normal.domain.here

Then using the short names should work.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"He deserves death!"
"Deserves it!  I daresay he does.  And many die that deserve life.  Is it in
 your power to give it to them?  Then do not be so quick to deal out death in
 judgement, for even the very wise may not see all ends."
        - Gandalf, _The Lord of the Rings_