Question on DNS setup change not working.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Sep 3 01:36:52 UTC 2011

On 3 Sep 2011 at 7:47, Cameron Simpson wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 3 Sep 2011 07:47:02 +1000
From:           	Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:        	Re: Question on DNS setup change not working.
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On 03Sep2011 04:56, Michael D. Setzer II <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> | Our MIS department just decided to not allow the use of the public
> | IP addresses of system from local machines, so I made the
> | additions to the hosts file with the private ip and the name.
> | restart named and restarted squid, and squid picked up the
> | change, and would bring up pages using the name. Unfortunately,
> | dig and other options would still be using the public IP instead.
> |
> | Tried restarting the machine to see if something might not have
> | been changed, but it remains the same.
>
> /etc/hosts is not part of DNS. It is part of the name lookup procedure
> used by gethostbyname(). So: squid is affected by /etc/hosts, but dig
> and named are NOT, and will not be: they are specificly DNS tools.
>
> My recommendation is to add a special .local zone to your named with
> names host1.local etc with the private addresses. Then add local to the
> _front_ of the search path in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
>   search local your.normal.domain.here
>
> Then using the short names should work.

Thanks for the information. At the moment, the system is just
running a caching nameserver, so will have to look at the process
to setup the dns. I was under the impression that the resolv.conf
with hosts bind was also for dns.

> Cheers,
> --
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> DoD#743
> http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
>
> "He deserves death!"
> "Deserves it!  I daresay he does.  And many die that deserve life.  Is it in
>  your power to give it to them?  Then do not be so quick to deal out death in
>  judgement, for even the very wise may not see all ends."
>         - Gandalf, _The Lord of the Rings_
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11189934.576302   |   EINSTEIN     6468781.769851
ROSETTA      3563786.501816   |   ABC          7853564.918328