[fedora] dd

xinyou yan yxy.716 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 14:08:39 UTC 2011

2011/9/3 Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>:
> On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:36 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
>> I want to make sure one thing .
>> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
>> I found use           tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
>> can't make the file into the tar file .
>
> It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.
>
> I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
> "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
> partition).
>
> If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
>  gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz

I want it be compressed by gzip,
and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file  (-r)

> If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
> dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
> option:
>  mkdir /tmp/yyy
>  mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
>  cd /tmp
>  tar cvf xx.tar yyy

That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
I wonder .  why must tar  the yyy (directory)

you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?

What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .

thank you .

You mail help me understand more