[fedora] dd

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 3 21:02:21 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 22:08 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> 2011/9/3 Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>:
> > On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:36 +0800, xinyou yan wrote:
> >> I want to make sure one thing .
> >> Can I use tar to pack the file created by dd.
> >> I found use           tar -rf xx.tar yyy.dd
> >> can't make the file into the tar file .
> >
> > It depends on what is in the dd file and what you're trying to do.
> >
> > I assume that the dd file is a direct copy of a filesystem (for example,
> > "dd if=/dev/sda2 of=yyy.dd" assuming that /dev/sda2 is a filesystem
> > partition).
> >
> > If you simply want to reduce the size of the dd file, use gzip:
> >  gzip yyy.dd # produces yyy.dd.gz
> >

> I want it be compressed by gzip,
> and the gzip files to a archive file (such as tar file)
> Howerver gzip file can't be add to a tar file  (-r)
>
> > If you want to create a tar archive of the individual files within the
> > dd image, you will have to mount the dd file first using the loopback
> > option:
> >  mkdir /tmp/yyy
> >  mount -o loop yyy.dd /tmp/yyy
> >  cd /tmp
> >  tar cvf xx.tar yyy
>
> That's mean tar must taring a regular file or directory .
> I wonder .  why must tar  the yyy (directory)
>
> you mean mount to a directory , and tar the directory ?
>

> What I want 's just a archive file that contain some sigle dd files .
>
> thank you .
>
> You mail help me understand more

I am not sure what you want to do,, but if you have a gziped tar file
and you  want to add another file to it this should work:
If your archive is archive.tgz
Uncompress archive: gunzip archive.tgz
Add a another file : tar -rf archive.tar second_file
Compress the archive: gzip archive.tar
This will recreate a new archive.gz file with the second file added.
and so on.

This procesws could be automates by a bash script.

Reality always seems harsher in the early morning.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net