Vote to extend F14 security updates

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Sep 5 19:08:20 UTC 2011

On 09/05/2011 11:47 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> If there were more people helping out with QA
> and backporting patches then I'm sure most developers would let people
> do the updates for them, but the reality is nobody is willing to do
> the work.

As I've mentioned before, I haven't done any programming in over a
decade, and when I did, it wasn't for Linux and it certainly wasn't the
type needed.  At this point, helping out with tech support (I got a job
doing it, once, and found that I was not only good at it, I enjoyed it.)
and reporting bugs to Bugzilla is the best way I can help out and pay
back the community for all I've gotten.  As far as the programming goes,
I suspect that most of us on the list are in the same position: not
enough experience in the specific field needed.

On a side note, all too many of the devs either expect everybody else to
know how to program as well as they do, or use the comment "If you don't
like it, why don't you fix it yourself?" as a putdown to the rest of us
who don't agree with what they've done, or would like minor changes
made.  I doubt that this message will change anything, and I don't
expect it to, but I would hope that those of us on this list would keep
in mind the fact that most of us wouldn't know how to patch/modify a
complex program if their lives depended on it and find more helpful
suggestions.  (Pointing people toward the correct dev's email list may
or may not be helpful depending on the list's attitude, but it's
probably better than nothing.)