script to create dvd sized folders for backup

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:18:28 UTC 2011

On 09/05/2011 09:46 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>   I want to say go to Downloads/ and make several folders (dvd1, dvd2, dvd3, ..., )
> as many as are needed to backup the whole directory into 4.3 GB dvd
sized ones

Hi Antonio,

I've used this script in the past called "split-tar" which I found here:

http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.php

I used it to create tar files of a certain size (e.g. 4480 MB for
DVD+R).  What I liked about it was that they're actual tar files.
Before that, I used to create a BIG tar file and then used the split
command in order to create xaa, xab, xac etc... of a particular size so
I can burn them.  The problem with that was that, if I had to restore
something, I had to restoer ALL of the files so I could join them
afterwards (and eventually get my data). If one of the splitted files
was broken you can imagine...

With "split-tar" you have individual extractable archives of the size of
your choice (albeit an approximation).

HTH,
Jorge