script to create dvd sized folders for backup

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 02:57:44 UTC 2011

2011/9/5 Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com>:
> On 09/05/2011 09:46 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>   I want to say go to Downloads/ and make several folders (dvd1, dvd2, dvd3, ..., )
>> as many as are needed to backup the whole directory into 4.3 GB dvd
> sized ones
>
> Hi Antonio,
>
> I've used this script in the past called "split-tar" which I found here:
>
> http://www.informatik-vollmer.de/software/split-tar.php
>
> I used it to create tar files of a certain size (e.g. 4480 MB for
> DVD+R).  What I liked about it was that they're actual tar files.
> Before that, I used to create a BIG tar file and then used the split
> command in order to create xaa, xab, xac etc... of a particular size so
> I can burn them.  The problem with that was that, if I had to restore
> something, I had to restoer ALL of the files so I could join them
> afterwards (and eventually get my data). If one of the splitted files
> was broken you can imagine...
>
> With "split-tar" you have individual extractable archives of the size of
> your choice (albeit an approximation).

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that discspan doesn't do any
compression or tarring so it's good for media that's already
compressed (music files, videos, etc) and all the files are burned
directly so they stay individually accessible.

Also, if you don't want to install it manually I created an RPM until
I have time to submit it for review to Fedora

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34775202/discspan-0.2.2-1.fc15.noarch.rpm

It's pure python so it doesn't matter what version of Fedora you're
using. Just run "discspan --help" for a list of options. If you run it
without any options it goes into interactive mode.

Richard