Non-YouTube videos don't work in F15

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Sep 7 01:04:15 UTC 2011

Bob McClure Jr writes:

> A few weeks ago I upgraded from Fedora 13 to Fedora 15.  This was an
> on-line upgrade (using preupgrade) not a fresh install.  Not
> surprisingly, several things are broken.  This is an AMD Athlon 64
> machine with 2GB of RAM.
>
> Initially, I couldn't get any videos to work, but a web search led me
> to a solution for YouTube videos so they are fine, but non-YouTube
> videos come up with white or black screen and no controls, nada.  This
> is while running Firefox.
>
> What do I need to look for?

That depends exactly what you did. I presume you are referring to the x86-64
beta flash plugin. For the i386 plugin, its yum repo has worked for ages,
obediently updating the plugin every time a new flash plugin got pushed out.
So, you must be referring to the 64 bit plugin.

The beta release worked fine for me for a few months now – both youtube and
other videos. Your problem may not necessarily be the flash plugin itself,
but your audio and/or video. The flash plugin doesn't like something else
grabbing the audio, on my box. Or it grabs the audio itself, and keeps it
for a while. If new mail lands in my gmail box, and the timing is right,
both the flash plugin and the gmail manager plugin will want the audio, and
lock up Firefox, tight. Have to kill it. That's about the only glitch I have
to deal with, but otherwise it's WORKSFORME.

I don't believe there's a yum repo for x86-64 beta flash plugin, so I roll
my own rpm. Funny timing – I just checked and there's a new beta x86-64
plugin released today on http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

I just grabbed it, and fed it to my spec file to crank out an rpm, installed
it, and a cursory check seems to indicate that it's working. Youtube clips
are fine, news clips worked.

So, without knowing exactly what you did, there's not much to go on.