Fedora 15 is a lot like Windows OS's.. irritating, offensive, difficult to use with ease, nauseating to try...

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 8 12:04:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 23:05 +0000, Mark Eggers wrote:
> The left-screen / right-screen tango with a large monitor is
> cumbersome. Many have commented on this. I find it unpleasant as well.
>
> The work-around I use is Ctrl-Alt up-arrow and down-arrow. This allows
> me to easily page through my virtual desktops. The virtual desktops
> don't wrap around, and they're not labeled, but it's certainly better
> than the mouse equivalents.

I think it's a fundamental screw-up to make someone use the keyboard
with a WIMP (Windows Icons Mouse Pointer) GUI.  Sure, you're probably
not actually /forced/ to, but if it's a major pain to mouse about, it
comes to the same issue.  And I mean that in regards to either swapping
between mousing and keyboard, or worse, having to use both
simultaneously.

> 4B. Organization
>
> Alphabetic? Really? Yes, there are menus on the right hand side, but
> this does not come up by default.

I'll diverge from your comment, a bit, but since you called it
organisation, and things are being redesigned all over the place, I'll
stick in a pet peeve of mine.

The scroll bars are generally on the right of the screen, and the menus
are generally on the left.  LIkewise with commonly used buttons at the
top of the window (they're far away from the scroll bar).

As far as GUI designs go, this is horrible.  If you want to be nice to
users, it'd be more convenient to bring the two closer together, such as
menus being right justified in a big window.

  |                               file edit view other menus |

Or, being able to move the scroll bar onto the left side.

Lots of quote snippage that'd have many "me too"s written with them...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.