Non-YouTube videos don't work in F15 [Solved]

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Thu Sep 8 23:51:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 06:24:25PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bob McClure Jr writes:

> >> That's possible, so uninstall it.
> >
> >Okay, so done.  Now when it tries to play a YT video, I get Adobe's
> >version of the BSOD that says "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed."
> >
> >Here are another couple of data points.  If I bring up YT with
> >Ephiphany, it plays them just fine.  AFAIK, the RC1 64-bit flash
> >player is the only one on the system.
> >
> >If I try Konqueror, it reports I don't have a Flash plugin.
> >
> >Thanks for your patience.
>
> Well, the long and the short of it is that the 64 bit plugin works
> just fine for me.

After much screwing around with it, things are working now.  Based on
my experience, here are the steps that worked.

- Download the 64-bit Flash player from Adobe.  I got the RC1
  version.  Then do these as root:

cd /
tar xzvf <wherever>/flashplayer11_rc1_install_lin_64_090611.tar.gz
chown root:root libflashplayer.so
chmod 755 libflashplayer.so # didn't know it had to be executable earlier.
mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/

- It was still failing because it was using gnash-plugin even though
  I'd selected "Use Shockwave Flash" in Edit->Preferences->Applications
  for "Shockwave Flash file", so I

yum remove gnash-plugin

Now I get audio and video for YouTube stuff as well as non-YT stuff,
and as a bonus, I get my Live365 audio again.

I am a happy camper.  Oh, and the 32-bit stuff is still installed, so
it will coexist with the 64-bit player.

Thanks for your patience and guidance.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God,
keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who
love him and keep his commands.  Deuteronomy 7:9 (NIV)