Non-YouTube videos don't work in F15

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Sep 7 22:24:25 UTC 2011

Bob McClure Jr writes:

> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:38:21PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Bob McClure Jr writes:
> >
> > >Okay, did all that.  Used the rc1 tarball from Adobe.  Now I can't see
> > >the video portion of YouTube videos.  However I did notice something
> > >that may be a clue.  While the video (sound only) is playing, I
> > >clicked on the full-screen icon and a black screen came up with a
> > >window title bar that says "GTK-Gnash", never no mind that in
> > >Edit->Preferences->Applications I clicked on "Use Shockwave Flash".
> > >Could it be that FF is locked into using Gnash regardless of what I
> > >select?
> >
> > That's possible, so uninstall it.
>
> Okay, so done.  Now when it tries to play a YT video, I get Adobe's
> version of the BSOD that says "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed."
>
> Here are another couple of data points.  If I bring up YT with
> Ephiphany, it plays them just fine.  AFAIK, the RC1 64-bit flash
> player is the only one on the system.
>
> If I try Konqueror, it reports I don't have a Flash plugin.
>
> Thanks for your patience.

Well, the long and the short of it is that the 64 bit plugin works just fine
for me.

You can easily check what you end up running in epiphany by right clicking
on the flash window while it's running. If it's truly the Adobe flash
plugin, right clicking should open a menu with very obvious contents.

If you have the Flash plugin working in Epiphany, but not in Firefox, that
suggests to me that your Firefox install itself is unstable. Perhaps a
conflict with other plugins you have installed.