Network printer not working, how to debug?

james tate binarynut at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 19:34:36 UTC 2011

On 09/10/2011 02:55 PM, Gordon Charrick wrote:
> I just bought a Brother laser all-in-one (MFC-7860DW) after determining
> that it should work fine with Linux. It does wired/wireless and I have
> it connected to my network via wireless.
>
> A mac and a windows machine on the network see the printer and it works
> fine with them.
>
> When I use system-config-printer to try to set up the printer in Fedora
> 15 the following happens:
>
> I click the Network Printer dropdown under "Select Device" and the
> printer shows up with the proper IP address. Under "Connection", "IPP
> network printer via DNS-SD" is selected. I choose the driver and apply
> the settings. It prompts to print a test page and I click to print it.
> The job for the test page is submitted and a window with the settings
> shows up and the Printer State shows as "Stopped - Destination printer
> does not exist!". The Device URI is
> "dnssd://Brother%20MFC-7860DW._ipp._tcp.local/".
>
> Not really sure where to go from here.

You say that the correct driver is in the Fedora Printer setup ?
I set my printer printer up as such and it works fine as a network printer;

But during the setup watch carefully for any SeLinux error messages and
correct those as you go along.
Another tricky thing about Fedora is while your in the Printer Setup it
will want a root password auth and that windows will be hidden behind
another larger window where you can't see it, so watch down on the
Panel Bar for windows for root password auth.

As for the scanner some work on Network and some don't, i had to hook a
USB cable to use the scanner,  be sure xsane is installed.