Help Pl: Fedora 15 not detecting PCI Parallel Port

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:46:57 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 05:29 AM, Sanjay Arora wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> <mellertson at gmail.com <mailto:mellertson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Try running "modprobe parport_pc" as root, and see if that enables
>     the card. Also, if I remember correctly, the device name will not be
>     lp0. But I can not remember the name.
>
>     If you want to use the serial port, you will probably have to load
>     parport_serial as well.
>
>     Mikkel
>

> Output:
> [root at acct ~]# modprobe parport_pc
> [root at acct ~]# modprobe -v parport_pc
> [root at acct ~]# modprobe -v parport_pc
> [root at acct ~]# modprobe -v parport_pc
> [root at acct ~]# modprobe -v parport_serial
> insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_serial.ko
>
> Some /var/log/messages lines (scattered in log):
> Sep 13 11:45:57 acct kernel: [  203.612821] lp: driver loaded but no
> devices found
> Sep 13 11:50:11 acct kernel: [  456.604811] TCP lp registered
>
> Dmesg:
> [   24.762672] lp: driver loaded but no devices found
> [   24.871943] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
>
> From the above it seems that the port on the parallel port pci card
> is not being detected....but windows 7 which is dual-booted on the
> same machine is printing through that same parallel port.
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

Now things get more interesting. You have a card that the driver
does not know about. It looks like you are going to have to give the
port numbers to parport_pc and parport_serial when you load them.
Does the Linux documentation tell you anything? You are going to
have to use "lspci -v" or one of the GUI hardware displays to get
the port numbers. Then the trick is figuring out what ports are the
serial port(s) and what ports are the parallel port(s). There are
more then one port for each, but you normally give the base port,
and the driver does the rest. You may have to give the interrupt as
well.

I am betting you had to install a driver in Windows so that it would
work. You may be able to get the port addresses from Windows easier
then you can from Linux...

Mikkel
- --