Fedora Install on a Compaq ?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 13 19:37:36 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 06:53 PM, TNWestTex wrote:

> g-30 wrote:
>> On 09/13/2011 06:31 PM, TNWestTex wrote:
>> <>
>>
>>> The note on KNOPPIX live cd applies to Fedora 10 and newer as well.  The
>>> cd spins forever.
>>
>> i missed that note somewhere. where was it?
>>
>> actually, i was not reffering to using a knoppix live because i would
>> believe it difficult to install fedora using knoppix live.
>>
> My guess is that Peter's isolinux that most live cds use was updated in a
> way that is not compatible with older systems so the expectation is that
> current live cd's are unlikely to boot.

i take it that you know H. Peter Anvin' personally, and that you are now
referring to 'syslinux';

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syslinux
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/syslinux/

to meet those conditions, i believe that op will need to upgrade his boot
rom to what ever is available for an old compaq computer. it may have what
is needed.

'pxelinux' may be another possibility;

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment
  http://www.josephn.net/scrapbook/pxelinux_stuff

if that does not work, my only other suggestion would be to put hard drive
in a box with a more current bios, install fedora live on it, reinstall in
old compaq box, to see if it will boot.

i hope that clears some of the nebulous.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.