Fedora Install on a Compaq ?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Sep 13 19:59:30 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 12:37 PM, g wrote:
> if that does not work, my only other suggestion would be to put hard drive
> in a box with a more current bios, install fedora live on it, reinstall in
> old compaq box, to see if it will boot.

You might also consider Puppy Linux, at http://www.puppylinux.org as
it's designed to work with minimal hardware.  I have an old laptop,
mostly retired, with a P II 233 Mhz and maxed out at 96 MG of RAM that
still manages to amble along with it on the rare occasions I boot it.
And, unlike Knoppix and Damn Small Linux[1], the community doesn't have
a built-in prejudice against installing it to your hard disk.[2]  In
fact, their help forum has at least two different walk-throughs for it
with screen shots.

[1]Please don't take this as a put down for either distro.  I'm sure
that they both do a great job at what they're designed to do, but
they're really not intended to be installed permanently, and the users
seem to be a tad inflexible about it.
[2]I never seriously considered installing Knoppix because it's
KDE-centric and I didn't like the looks.  With DSL the attitude was "Why
don't you just run it from a CD the way it was designed to be run?"[3]
and the instructions for a hard disk install were done with a grudging,
"Very well, if you *must.*" attitude.
[3]In fact, unless my memory's worse than usual, that's an exact quote
of the reply to a question in the forum about how to install it.