Network printer not working, how to debug?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Sep 13 20:17:59 UTC 2011

On 09/13/2011 02:29 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 09:54 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> >  I have a Brother MFC665CW connected wirelessly. I installed the cups and
>> >  lpd driver rpms from the Brother site, and run a cups service on the
>> >  computers which use that printer.
>> >
>> >  The URI for the printer is:  usb:/dev/usb/lp0
> That's the URI for a*locally*-connected printer, not a
> wirelessly-connected one.
>
> Tim.

As I said, Tim, *why* that URI I have no idea. That printer has NEVER
been connected with a wire of any sort ehternet OR parallel port. I
configured it using the front panel, it showed up in the router and I
could ping it, etc. so I installed the drivers and it worked.

The *only* possible scenario that I can think of, is that the local (on
the laptop) cupswrapper driver daemon writes *there* and the brother lpr
driver uses that as a socket and sends the print job on to the printer
using wifi.
So it appears to be a locally connected printer because the drivers
obscure the 'unconnectedness' of it.

This same sort of thing shows up when connecting network printers to a
guest WinXP instance in virtualbox. An HP printer connected through a
lpd/lpr print server is 'installed' in the WinXP guest as a 'network'
printer using the 'http://IP-address/pASTHRU', while an HP MFC (using
hplip) is selected as a LOCAL printer in the WinXP guest install using a
TCPIP 'port': socket://ip-address/:9100.

I have never tried to install the Brother MFC into the Win guest, but I
think it would be a 'network' printer.

Geoff