itunes-like applications

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 14 12:23:10 UTC 2011

----
#1 - time to update your Fedora. F13 is EOL and soon F14 will EOL too.
Installing new packages on F13 is going to be difficult if not
impossible at the point they move the repo into archive (if they haven't
done that already).

#2 - I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question too - but
what I do know (and I don't have an iPad and likely never will)...
  - Apple has a rigid structure for iTunes and it's more than just
copying files to/from your iPad which I would think you can do already
by connecting the USB to your Linux machine.
  - With my iPod, I use my Windows system and iTunes but the data is
stored on my Linux server so I can access the music with anything
(Rhythmbox, Amarok, etc.) I use mt-daapd on Linux to share this music
with any compatible iTunes player including iTunes on Windows/Macintosh
and of course Rhythmbox & Amarok).
  - Apple keeps a tight grip on devices and technologies such as
iTunes... they want to exercise complete control over the content you
put on your iPad/iPhone/iPod and thus frequently change their iTunes
software making it somewhat risky to have other applications tinkering
with the iTunes.db

You might try to see if Amarok or Rhythmbox can sync/add/delete music to
your iPad (I have no idea what their current level of implementation is
these days).

Craig

believed to be clean.