Epson Artisan 725: anyone using with fedora?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:45:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:16:52 -0500
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> Dumping the HP Photosmart?
>
> Not by my choice, I think the poor little cpu in it got fried.
> It is doing a good imitation of a brick now :-). And HP no
> longer supports DVD printing in any of their new printers.

What's up with that? I noticed that none of the HP printers at Costco
had CD/DVD printing and just assumed it was just the models they chose
to sell. I didn't know they stopped making them all together.

> I just got the Artisan 725 I picked up this morning configured
> on the wireless network and was able to print a cups test
> page after installing the epson-inkjet-printer-escpr package
> and configuring the printer (s-c-p even managed to locate
> it on the network, and accepting all the defaults defined
> the printer OK).
>
> The artisan can print DVDs directly from the control panel
> from an image off a memory card, so I may not even try to
> get the DVD printing software to work directly from linux.

I still like glabels but I guess I could output to a picture and save
it to the SD card in the printer (assuming it exposes itself as a
standard mass storage device like my HP). An extra step, but should
work reliably.

> Still haven't tried the scanner - I may need the
> 3rd party driver to get network scanning via sane to work.

I definitely need a scanner so please keep me updated!

Thanks,
Richard