Epson Artisan 725: anyone using with fedora?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:18:33 UTC 2011

> > ...And HP no
> > longer supports DVD printing in any of their new printers.
>
> What's up with that? I noticed that none of the HP printers at Costco
> had CD/DVD printing and just assumed it was just the models they chose
> to sell. I didn't know they stopped making them all together.

Maybe a legacy from the continuous CEO turnover they've been
having? :-).

> I definitely need a scanner so please keep me updated!

I got I/O errors when I tried sane the first time, so I followed
the links in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1817008,
only searched for rpm instead of deb, then I went on a search
for the missing libltdl3, and found an opensuse rpm I could
install to satisfy it and then tried scanning with gimp using
the new "iscan" plugin all the stuff from avasys provided.

That didn't work either, but for the heck of it I tried xsane
again, and now it is working fine.

I have no idea if the 1st xsane problem was a random fluke,
or if some piece if the iscan stuff made xsane work, but scanning
seems to be perfectly functional now.

I can also scan from my Windows XP virtual machine, but for
some reason can't print from it (don't care much, don't really
need it).

One of these days I'll  try uninstalling the iscan stuff and
see if xsane still works.