LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:04:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM, stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:19:05 +0200
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And I'm curious why doesn't anyone even mention KDE as an alternative
>> for Gnome3? As it seems, these days KDE4 is by far the most advanced,
>> most mature and most configurable desktop environment out there.
>
> On my old hardware, KDE is a resource hog.  The DE runs like it is
> moving through molasses.  On newer hardware it probably isn't
> noticeable.  And for the short time I did run it, it was different
> enough that there was a learning curve.  LXDE and XFCE are probably
> much closer to Gnome 2 in behavior.
>
> I'm using the Gnome 3 fallback mode on F15, and my DE has snappy
> response. I suspect the same would be true of LXDE or XFCE.

I do not expect KDE4 to take more resources than Gnome3, even when you
turn on its desktop effects. That said, I do agree that it is more
demanding than XFCE and LXDE. If you have old hardware it is certainly
better to run something lightweight. But on such hardware I expect
even Gnome2 to be slow. ;-)

The fallback of Gnome3 isn't really a DE, it is rather... well... a
fallback, and it is expected to be lightweight, since it is intended
to work on low-end hardware. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone
with such hardware to run KDE. But for those with more modern
hardware, I think KDE is something worth looking into. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko