LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Gjermund Bjaanes bjaanes at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:19:04 UTC 2011

On Sep 16, 2011 4:07 PM, "stan" <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:19:05 +0200
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And I'm curious why doesn't anyone even mention KDE as an alternative
> > for Gnome3? As it seems, these days KDE4 is by far the most advanced,
> > most mature and most configurable desktop environment out there.
>
> On my old hardware, KDE is a resource hog.  The DE runs like it is
> moving through molasses.  On newer hardware it probably isn't
> noticeable.

Actually, I dont have the same experience. I have used KDE on my reeeeally
slow laptop (after Gnome 3 was introduced), and it has been going very
smooth thus far. I have been able to work on the machine with no more
"slowness" than when using Gnome 3.

I really enjoy KDE now, although it took me a couple of short days to adjust
I must admit.