LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 16:39:44 UTC 2011

> I really don't see why Gnome2 lovers and Gnome3 haters fall back to
> XFCE and LXDE automatically, without even trying the KDE spin... Is
> there some silent collective KDE-boycotting in place here or what?

Xfce is basically what Gnome 2 should have been, but perhaps with a few
rougher edges. KDE is a very different experience. Going Gnome 2 to XFCE
feels like switching between different releases of a desktop rather than
a complete desktop changeover.

There are lots of desktops to try - E for example shouldn't be overlooked
either.

I still remember KDE3->4 and I'm afraid after that I don't trust there
won't be a similarly catastrophic KDE4-5 8(

Alan