RaLink 5370 USB Wifi Dongle

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 18:30:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 05:20 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:36 AM, Kevin J. Cummings
>> <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>>> The WiFi in my laptop gave up the ghost.  Doesn't matter what card I put
>>> in the mini PCIe slot, the system doesn't think anything is there.
>>>
>>> So, I bought one of those "new" $7 Wifi dongles for the USB port.
>>> Surprisingly small!  802.11n capable as well!
>
> Here's the link to my dongle's product info:
>
>> http://www.ralink.tw/download.php?t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXhMekEzTHpFeEwzQnliMlIxWTNRMU5qTTVNekEyT1RjMUxuQmtaajA5UFZKVU5UTTNNRjl3Y205a2RXTjBYMkp5YVdWbUM%3D
>
> [snip]
>
>> I have on order one of the small wifi adapters which I believe should
>> work with the  rt2870usb also - and I will be very interested to hear
>> of any progress - the reason I ordered the new one was that I have a
>> device that was working fine with the realtek rtl8712SU driver but I
>> cannot compile the driver with the 3.1 kernel as there are compile
>> errors - and I want to test a laptop that needs this running f16 pre
>> beta - there is supposed to be a suitable driver in kmod staging for
>> the latter but kmod staging for f16 is not yet available.
>>
>> So I thought I would try the rt2870 device and I will fiddle with it
>> properly once it arrives in the coming days.  I see you are using f14
>> - have you tried installing kmod-staging from rpmfusion to see if
>> there is a driver there?
>
> No, I have not.  How would I know if there is support for my dongle (or
> not)?
>
>> I will post more once I get my device and tinker with it.

OK my dongle arrived in the post today - so this evening I thought I
would try it out - after plugging it in, and firing up f16 it works
out of the box - hooray! I don't have an earlier Fedora for that
laptop to test f14 with the same wifi dongle.

So my suspicions were indeed correct - the module that is loaded is
rt2800usb - which supports the chipset I listed earlier that seems to
be in my device.

Since it would seem from the earlier posts that yours "should" work
with the same kernel module then in principle there is a good chance
it would work out of the box under f16.

However I don't know what the state of support in the earlier kernels
was for this same chipset - even if it appears not to work in f14
there is a "reasonable" chance that it will if/when you upgrade to
f16.... unless someone running f16 has the same device that you have
and can plug in and test it?

I hope this helps even if it is indirect.

--
mike c