RaLink 5370 USB Wifi Dongle

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Sep 17 22:17:16 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 02:30 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> OK my dongle arrived in the post today - so this evening I thought I
> would try it out - after plugging it in, and firing up f16 it works
> out of the box - hooray! I don't have an earlier Fedora for that
> laptop to test f14 with the same wifi dongle.
>
> So my suspicions were indeed correct - the module that is loaded is
> rt2800usb - which supports the chipset I listed earlier that seems to
> be in my device.
>
> Since it would seem from the earlier posts that yours "should" work
> with the same kernel module then in principle there is a good chance
> it would work out of the box under f16.

Thanks Mike!  That's good to know for the future.

> However I don't know what the state of support in the earlier kernels
> was for this same chipset - even if it appears not to work in f14
> there is a "reasonable" chance that it will if/when you upgrade to
> f16.... unless someone running f16 has the same device that you have
> and can plug in and test it?

I've got an F15 desktop here, I suppose I could try it in that (just to
see if/how it gets recognized).  F15 is running 2.6.40, which is (in
effect) a 3.0 kernel.

Yeup!  Comes up running on F15 as wlan0 using the rt2800usb driver (et
al, the rt2x00 driver as well).  I was able to get it to connect to my
home wireless.  Now to just figure out why it won't on F14!  Maybe I can
run the F15 kernel on F14????  I'm not looking forward to the F15
upgrade on my laptop given that I'm a gnome user....

> I hope this helps even if it is indirect.

It at least gives me hope for the future.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net