RaLink 5370 USB Wifi Dongle

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:54:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> On 09/17/2011 02:30 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> OK my dongle arrived in the post today - so this evening I thought I
>> would try it out - after plugging it in, and firing up f16 it works
>> out of the box - hooray! I don't have an earlier Fedora for that
>> laptop to test f14 with the same wifi dongle.
>>
>> So my suspicions were indeed correct - the module that is loaded is
>> rt2800usb - which supports the chipset I listed earlier that seems to
>> be in my device.
>>
>> Since it would seem from the earlier posts that yours "should" work
>> with the same kernel module then in principle there is a good chance
>> it would work out of the box under f16.
>
> Thanks Mike!  That's good to know for the future.
>
>> However I don't know what the state of support in the earlier kernels
>> was for this same chipset - even if it appears not to work in f14
>> there is a "reasonable" chance that it will if/when you upgrade to
>> f16.... unless someone running f16 has the same device that you have
>> and can plug in and test it?
>
> I've got an F15 desktop here, I suppose I could try it in that (just to
> see if/how it gets recognized).  F15 is running 2.6.40, which is (in
> effect) a 3.0 kernel.
>
> Yeup!  Comes up running on F15 as wlan0 using the rt2800usb driver (et
> al, the rt2x00 driver as well).  I was able to get it to connect to my
> home wireless.  Now to just figure out why it won't on F14!  Maybe I can
> run the F15 kernel on F14????  I'm not looking forward to the F15
> upgrade on my laptop given that I'm a gnome user....
>
>> I hope this helps even if it is indirect.
>
> It at least gives me hope for the future.

Great that it works with the f15 kernel - if it is any help I had
until recently been running an f15 kernel in another f14 laptop for
quite a while with no problems (install all the f15 kernel related
packages pulled as rpms from bodhi or koji eg kernel-PAE,
kernel-PAE-devel, kernel-headers, perf ( and any other related rpms),
in one yum [local]install possibly with --nogpgcheck if you have not
got the f15 gpg keys in that machine) - then it should work. In fact
for me it worked even better than the f14 kernel!

Good luck
Mike
--
mike c