Need KVM switch

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 17 22:44:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 16:56 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've got two computers -- a Windows XP machine and a Fedora 15 box. I am
> > sending back the new KVM I bought since it doesn't work at all for my Linux
> > box (just sits there and doesn't detect that it's plugged in.) It also
> > doesn't pass along the unifying receiver for my new wireless keyboard and
> > mouse from Logitech.
> >
> > I need a USB KVM for my Windows machine as I'm currently using a PS2 with
> > an adapter. I think the only reason that is working is because my old
> > Belkin is a powered KVM and doesn't rely on power from the systems.
> >
> > Anyone got a KVM they can recommend? Bonus if it'll share the speakers with
> > multiple computers. :D
> > --
>
> I would not recommend KVM to Fedora users.  One version it works, the
> next version it doesn't.
>
> I'm embarrassed to say that I use a Windows machine as my main
> machine.  Cygwin has reached the point where, with care, you can ssh
> into Fedora and use most x-based applications.  I recommend against
> trying to import the desktop.  I import windows (small w).
>
> As to sharing speakers, it's an iffy business, no matter what.
>
> If you have a modern machine, running Linux virtual under windows is
> also an attractive option.  XP lives on for me as a virtual machine.
>
> Bottom line for me: I have given up on KVM and use the various network
> and virtual options to share.
----
I've got a 10 year old 4 station Belkin PS2/USB/Audio/VGA KVM and the
audio works fine. Sometimes I wish I could listen to my Windows iTunes
while I am working on Linux but it uses only the currently switched
environment.

That said it has worked flawlessly for all this time. The only problem
is when I switch back to Linux, I do have to be careful as the mouse is
jumpy until 2 seconds after the first click so I have learned not to
move it but just click it when I switch.

I honestly don't think the brand much matters on KVM's  -  they all are
made as cheaply as possible and have a little quirkiness but you can
always work around that.

Craig

believed to be clean.