Need KVM switch

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:56:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've got two computers -- a Windows XP machine and a Fedora 15 box. I am
> sending back the new KVM I bought since it doesn't work at all for my Linux
> box (just sits there and doesn't detect that it's plugged in.) It also
> doesn't pass along the unifying receiver for my new wireless keyboard and
> mouse from Logitech.
>
> I need a USB KVM for my Windows machine as I'm currently using a PS2 with
> an adapter. I think the only reason that is working is because my old
> Belkin is a powered KVM and doesn't rely on power from the systems.
>
> Anyone got a KVM they can recommend? Bonus if it'll share the speakers with
> multiple computers. :D
> --

I would not recommend KVM to Fedora users.  One version it works, the
next version it doesn't.

I'm embarrassed to say that I use a Windows machine as my main
machine.  Cygwin has reached the point where, with care, you can ssh
into Fedora and use most x-based applications.  I recommend against
trying to import the desktop.  I import windows (small w).

As to sharing speakers, it's an iffy business, no matter what.

If you have a modern machine, running Linux virtual under windows is
also an attractive option.  XP lives on for me as a virtual machine.

Bottom line for me: I have given up on KVM and use the various network
and virtual options to share.

Robert.
> users at lists.fedoraproject.org

Thou shalt not scandalize thy neighbor.  That's in the Bible
somewhere; I'm certain of it.