How to permanently delete root CAs from mozilla products?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 18 03:37:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 20:29 -0400, David wrote:
> On 9/17/2011 8:06 PM, Craig White wrote:

> >> I *really* have no idea what, just what, Fedora did here with this. But
> >> I do know that the Generic Linux, and the Mac, and the Windows updates
> >> fixed this. Are you saying that Fedora f*cked this up?
> >>
> >>  Then I would think that your problem would be with Fedora. And the
> >> gnomes that live under your bed.
> > ----
> > Now that you mention it... I just updated my F14 - which included an
> > update for Firefox.
> >
> > I launch FF and see the DigiNotar certificate there dated 2007 and it is
> > trusted. That concerns me.
> >
> > So I 'delete' it and indeed, it completely disappears.
> >
> > I close/relaunch FF and view certificates and it is back, only this
> > time, it is not trusted (good). It appears to be the same certificate
> > (dates - I didn't note the serial numbers).
> >
> > I am fine with this.
> >
> > I am not sure that simply updating FF will work as expected (disabling
> > DigiNotar's certificate) without manual intervention but I will check on
> > another users profile later.
>

> I assume that this 'update' is a Fedora RPM? And it does not 'update'?
> Your disagreement seems, to me, to be with Fedora or the Fedora
> packager? The 'Generic' Mozilla Linux package, which is what I use,
> updates as expected.
>

> > As for Macintosh, Windows, 'generic Linux' (whatever that means to you
> > it means nothing to me), I don't know but I can verify the
> > Windows/Macintosh FF behavior when I get time. Did you actually track
> > the exact state of the DigiNotar certificate before/after updating?
>

> Did I "actually track  the exact state of the DigiNotar certificate"?
> No. Not really. I just updated as needed and did not sit on my thumb
> while the rest of the world solved this problem.
----
does seem that there is a problem w/ Fedora & FF

I just checked on my Ubuntu 10.04 server. Both a new profile & my
existing profile have 4 certificates from DigiNotar and all are
untrusted.

Will search bugzilla soon because the DigiNotar certificate in Fedora
wasn't automatically 'untrusted' after the last round of updates like it
should have been.

Craig

believed to be clean.