LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 12:11:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:43:01 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 09/17/2011 01:28 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> >> I personally think that you GNOME 3 devs are incompetent (I know that there
> > That seems uncalled for. Trying to build a new desktop is a large, non
> > trivial project.
>
> How about the way that you can only trigger a specific and needed action

To me there are several

- the weird 'mouse corner' behaviour - which is useless for any corner
  you choose on a big display, great for touchscreen, total fail for dual
  headed monitors. Should at least also be a mouse gesture as well as a
  key shortcut

- disabling the middle mouse button by default

- the amazing one pixel wide borders for resizing

- the very slow compositing performance of the desktop (which is one I
  know is being worked on)

- the fact that moving between apps on different desktops is now a mouse
  marathon (left corner for overview, mouse all the way to the right
  click on desktop, mouse most of the way back to the left, click on
  app). Just try this on a dual monitor display and weep.

- the over-reliance on OpenGL code paths for things you can do without and
  which should work on any old video card (eg the scaling/shading). E can
  do some of them faster on a dumb card much of the time than Gnome 3 is
  doing on a 3D card !

- the very high memory usage for buffers (I think again due to poor
  compositor design)

- no window shading option

- lack of basic configurability

The first five should be trivial to fix, the last one in part seems to be
because 3.0 was rushed and not ready. The compositor looks hard to sort
out