LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 17:40:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:56:54 -0700
Bryce Hardy <brycehardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >the fact that moving between apps on different desktops is now a mouse
> >marathon (left corner for overview, mouse all the way to the right
> >click on desktop, mouse most of the way back to the left, click on
> >app). Just try this on a dual monitor display and weep.
>
> I may not be understanding, but why can't you use Alt-Tab and Alt-~
> for this, or alternately click the icon in the dash without moving
> over to the desktops? That works here for me. Is there something about
> the dual displays that prevents this?

Well I could add the dash and do that which would be slightly less bad
but still not great. Using the keyboard means switching mouse/keyboard
and for a lot of stuff Gnome 3 is actually ok if you avoid the mouse. If
I'm doing stuff like detailing graphical work then having to keep going
poking at the keyboard to flip back/forth is annoying to say the least.