LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Sun Sep 18 16:06:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 01:11:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> > How about the way that you can only trigger a specific and needed action

> To me there are several
>
> - the weird 'mouse corner' behaviour - which is useless for any corner
>   you choose on a big display, great for touchscreen, total fail for dual
>   headed monitors. Should at least also be a mouse gesture as well as a
>   key shortcut
>
> - disabling the middle mouse button by default
>
> - the amazing one pixel wide borders for resizing
>
> - the very slow compositing performance of the desktop (which is one I
>   know is being worked on)
>
> - the fact that moving between apps on different desktops is now a mouse
>   marathon (left corner for overview, mouse all the way to the right
>   click on desktop, mouse most of the way back to the left, click on
>   app). Just try this on a dual monitor display and weep.
>
> - the over-reliance on OpenGL code paths for things you can do without and
>   which should work on any old video card (eg the scaling/shading). E can
>   do some of them faster on a dumb card much of the time than Gnome 3 is
>   doing on a 3D card !
>
> - the very high memory usage for buffers (I think again due to poor
>   compositor design)
>
> - no window shading option
>
> - lack of basic configurability
>
> The first five should be trivial to fix, the last one in part seems to be
> because 3.0 was rushed and not ready. The compositor looks hard to sort
> out

Though I am a staunch (but not uncritical) admirer and user
of Gnome3 I am in agreement with your points 3,4,6,8 above.

Ad point 1: who cares about mice, use the keyboard.
Ad point 2: don't understand this one, disabled?
Ad point 5: as I am not an investor, trader or developer with 2 (or more)
            monitors I have no problems with this.
            Using keyboard shortcuts I navigate easily and fast
            between apps, even on different workspaces.
            Even using the mouse is not very stressfull.
            You get into the 'flow' quickly enough.
            (And exercise is good for you :-))
            And from my very limited experience with 2 monitors
            I think using 2 monitors is tiring enough in itself.
Ad point 7: I shade windows all the time (shade is roll up window?)
            (gnome-tweak-tool).

Alexander