Need KVM switch

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:04:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I tried to resist asking about this, but I can't help myself as it would
> solve some problems that I just assumed were not answerable.
>
> But I will only take baby-steps.
>
> How can one ssh from a cygwin shell to a Fedora box? My XP system has a
> dynamic IP of 192.168.2.? and all my Fedora boxes have static IPs in the
> 192.168.2.x range. I can get anything from my Fedora boxes to my XP by
> using "mail/mailx" and picking it up from XP Thunderbird, but I have no
> way to get anything from my XP box to the Fedora boxes (I burned out my
> "help cycles" with trying to use mail/mailx and don't want to go that
> route again). If I could ssh/scp to my Fedora boxes, I think I would be
> quite happy.

I hope your question has been answered.  A couple of tricks and traps:

1. You may have to punch holes for ssh on firewalls at both ends.

2. ssh is not in the default install of cygwin.

3. I use sftp to copy both ways, if all I need to do is to copy.

4. my router dhcp client table tells me where machines are at the moment.

5. it's a tad easier if you use the same client name on both ends.

Robert.