Need KVM switch

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Mon Sep 19 13:15:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 08:23:05PM -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Incredible ... it was totally a piece of cake. Once you told me ...

And you get 'scp' with 'ssh'.  NOW, just install Samba and it's even
easier from within your LAN.  If you don't want to get into configuring it,
just drop on a copy of 'webmin'.  (Really, Samba's not hard to configure.)

> ...after cursing that the person who built my XP box has the user as
> "Paul" while all my Linux boxes I'd set it to be "paul", it worked like
> a champ.

That's easy to change, too.  But I'm sure you know that.

> I can ssh into the Linux boxes and can push files from XP/Cygwin to
> them. Still can't ssh from Linux to XP/Cygwin or push to XP/Cygwin as I
> don't know how to tell my Linux boxes about the dynamic ip of the XP
> box, but that would just be gravy as I can use mail to get files from
> Linux to XP.

You've a couple of ways to do this, from the trivial to slightly harder:

 1.  Just make the XP box static.  Pick an IP address outside your DHCP
     range.

 2.  If you're using your Linux box as your DHCP server, configure it for
     Dynamic DNS.  (Google is your friend here--again, not hard.  Search
	 for "Fedora configure DHCP to update DNS".)

> Really appreciate the info, life has gotten better!

Good to hear!

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat