"wireless disabled in software"

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 18 19:50:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 13:36 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > Sorry, it was a standard (left) click
> > System tray => WLAN interface (widget)
>
> OK, now I'm left clicking on the icon.
> I get a window with 2 halves, entitled Interfaces and Connections.
> I'm connected at the moment.
> The left half-window says
> 	WLAN Interface  Connected to wlan0
> The right half-window says
> 	Connections     wlan0
> and down the bottom
> 	Show More        Manage Connections
> If I click Show More it just changes to Show Less but has no other effect.
> If I click on Manage Connections I get the same window that I got
> when right-clicking on the icon.
> If I left-click on wlan0 the connection is broken for a second,
> "Connected to wlan0" in the left half-window changes to
> "Configuring interface", then "Setting network address"
> and then "Connected to wlan0" again.
>
> OK, this is fine; but I don't see any of the goodies you mention.
> There is no option to scan for APs, nor is there a list of available APs
> (as provided by "iwlist scan", which incidentally shows 2 APs,
> including the one I am using)
>
> More to the point, if I am not connected for some reason,
> the two window-halves are empty,
> and there is no action offered to me to correct the problem
> as far as I can see.
----
seems as if your manual configuration attempts are interfering with the
GUI since at the point where you left-click on wlan0, it should do the
equivalent to a iwlist scan command and list the available wireless
networks (whether AP's or Ad-Hoc) - at least it does for me.

Craig

believed to be clean.